Selling your Aston Martin
Making the decision to sell your Aston Martin is difficult enough, but not as difficult as the sales process. At Byron International, we are in our third decade of helping members of the Aston Martin owners club and other Aston Martin owners by acting as brokers on the sale of their cars.
Once you have decided to sell, then we take away all the problems of dealing with what can be an Internationally traded product. That’s important because currency exchange and import duty can affect the perceived price of your car and our understanding of those differences means that you will get the best price for your car.
The car remains under your control in a secure store while we advertise the car and deal with prospective buyers. And we work only for you – unlike an auction sale, there is only one commission. Nor are we a dealer using your car to boost our stock on sale or return, we only sell our clients’ cars. We raise a sale / purchase agreement between the buyer and seller so you know exactly what your car has sold for.
We have taken all the risk out of the process for you – if we demonstrate a car, it is comprehensively insured by us for the duration of that demonstration – the car is only released to a new owner when cleared funds are in YOUR bank account. Remember, most auction houses only pay out a month after the car is sold.
Whether a car needs to be checked with a specialist, if the car needs financing, if it needs shipping from one part of the world to another, we take care of all the detail and negotiation.
Like the owners, we are passionate about Aston Martins, but we have created a process – almost clinical in its efficiency – to ensure that you have no problems with the sale of your car.
Sometimes, making the decision to sell your Aston Martin is not easy, particularly if it has a long association with your family. Then there is the question of how, when and where will I achieve the best return for such a very valuable and internationally traded asset whilst protecting it. At Byron International, we understand these emotional and practical concerns. We are in our third decade of helping Aston Martin owners and in particular members of the A.M.O.C. (Aston Martin Owners Club) by acting as brokers in the sale of their cars. Please visit our Archives where you will find approximately 500 Astons we have sold or valued over the years.
But before you commit to using our services, you may have questions – we have a number of the most frequently asked questions, but if there is something we haven’t covered, just e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call us and describe your Aston Martin. Based on your description, our sales of the same model and knowledge of others available, we will estimate its market value. If you are happy with our estimate and the car is located in Europe, we will follow up with a personal visit to view your car and agree a price. We will also visit other countries if it is a significant or high value car.
When a transaction is agreed by you we raise a sales / purchase agreement between the seller and the buyer who makes direct payment to the seller. The exceptions are when either seller or buyer, require anonymity and when the buyer requires finance because as Licensed Credit Brokers we usually have to invoice the finance company. The car is only released to a new owner when cleared funds are in your bank account.
When a representative of Byron International is driving your car or accompanying a prospective buyer on demonstration, your car is fully comprehensively covered under our insurance with Aon. A copy of our Insurance Certificate is available on request.
We will compile an extensive written presentation about your Aston Martin that details fitted options, upgrades and enhancements. With your permission we will also include ownership history, concours achievements, race or rally results, restoration, service, and maintenance invoices plus MOT history. In short we will draw out all the selling aspects of your car. All documentation is date collated and displayed in a leather bound folder which is shown to all prospective buyers that view your car. In addition, your car will be extensively photographed and when appropriate in a studio by a Professional Photographer. This combination will form the foundation of our presentation.
- After preparation, the car will be professionally photographed in an infinity studio ensuring a professional presentation for use in all media.
- The history of the car will be carefully collated and recorded as part of a presentation that will be used in marketing the vehicle. Additionally, the history will be presented in a leather bound folder.
- We will promote the car on our own website, www.allastonmartin.com.
- In addition, we advertise in significant relevant automotive websites in mainland Europe, USA as well as the UK.
- We advertise in various specialist magazines and a selection of our past adverts can be viewed in the Archive section of our website
- By telephone, e-mail or letter to recent enquiries for your model Aston Martin that we have recorded in our extensive database.
Your car will be held to your order at Bullbridge Storage - www.bullbridgestorage.co.uk. This means you remain in control of your asset yet enables us to show your car to a prospective buyer. All of the Astons we are representing are located in one area, which as you can imagine is impressive.
The store was purpose built in 2005 so it is in first class condition.
It is ideally located for visitors being just 40 minutes from Gatwick Airport and just over an hour from London Victoria by train or from the Channel Tunnel by car. The local roads are not as congested as London and therefore make them ideal for demonstrating your car. It may also be possible for you to achieve a saving on insurance by reducing cover to ‘laid-up’ status.
- A long established reputation and trusted forum for business to take place easily.
- A data base of current prospective buyers.
- Confidence in debating values based on experience.
- Comprehensive insurance cover during demonstration.
- Finance for buyers.
- Information for buyers, Shipping, Insurance
- Up to the minute experience of how a change in currency exchange rates is influencing overseas buyers.
- How different country import regulations can work in your favour. For instance, some Aston Martin models can be imported to the U.K. under the historic car scheme which means they only attract 5% VAT not the standard rate. And the picture overseas is constantly changing – New Zealand recently changed from an import duty to charging GST on a car. In Hong Kong, there is no import duty but 100% tax when you register the car. We keep on top of these facts so you don't need to.
Your car will be held to your order at Bullbridge Storage - www.bullbridgestorage.co.uk. This means you remain in control of your asset yet enables us to show your car to a prospective buyer. All of the Astons we are representing are located in one area, which adds to the buying experience and emphasises the specialisation of the brokerage.
There is a commission charge which is 10% of the sale price achieved for the car, VAT is chargeable on all invoices. We only receive a payment from one party in any transaction.
The cost of storage
This varies dependant on value. It is from £28.00 per week plus VAT and includes a battery conditioner.
- Byron International Brokerage
- Studio photography of every car included in the marketing proposition, at no charge, presenting your car in the best possible light.
- Full collation of all vehicle history and presentation in a leather bound folder and fully summarised in marketing presentation.
- Over 25 years of specialist Aston Martin knowledge.
- Continuous marketing of car until sold with multiple access opportunities for prospective buyers.
- You retain control of your asset at all time.
- Focussed only on client cars charging only a sellers commission.
- Immediate settlement of sale revenue prior to release of car.
- Clear terms of agreement with just 14 days notice on either side.
- Auction companies
- Charge up to £1,000 for catalogue presentation and photography.
- History précis offered in catalogue, no collation or specialist presentation of history.
- Offer only one specialist Aston Martin auction in the current calendar so for most auctions, you don’t know whether they will attract the best buyer or a bargain hunter.
- Marketing of the auction and inclusion of your car in the inventory with limited access to prospective buyers.
- The auction company take control of your asset – if they sell the car, then they take up to 21 days to pay you but, if there is no sale, they require you to remove the car within 24 hours or pay storage.
- Charge commission to seller and buyer and court the favour of both parties.
- Credit terms mean payment of sales revenues up to 21 days after sale and there is history of an auction house failing and sellers losing their car and their revenues and the auction house rising like a phoenix to continue trading – not so much caveat emptor more caveat venditor – let the seller beware.
- Commit you to onerous terms of agreement – for example there is an auction company who will retain the sole right to sell your car for 45 days after a failure to sell at auction.
- No guarantee of presentation quality in media presentation – normally showroom or external shots with limited description.
- Individual presentation often inadequately collated.
- Specialisation limited to Aston Martin dealers, too often it is general classic car dealers offering “sale or return” terms.
- Continuous marketing as part of general inventory.
- The dealer takes control of your asset physically and in terms of sales revenue.
- Will always prioritise their own inventory over a consignment vehicle which is often presented to show dealer stock in best light.
- Settlement terms by individual arrangement, little security against conversion of your asset.
- Individual arrangements with rarely any contractual clarity.
Byron International recognises that we have to keep giving more to clients and innovate in our service to maintain our position in the market. We broaden our advertising reach, develop our marketing and introduce innovations to our customers like studio photography.
And that is the key – we work with and for our clients – we don’t expect them to fit in with our calendar or accept financial risk. Trading in an environment where our fees in a transaction can be half that of the cumulative commission of auction houses, we don’t just deliver an outstanding service in an ever changing market, we deliver great value for money and optimised returns.